Thursday, January 12, 2012

Transmission

Every so often, you may happen upon, something I affectionately refer to as, the law of thrice. This is when ideas, objects, experiences, etc. come to your awareness within a relatively short span of time. Usually, I find that it is unnecessary to look for the thrice; it will find you. It is coincidence. But, if we did not have coincidence factored into our lives, it would be quite dull. Would it not?

This cycle is of particular interest to me because it is somewhat related to a project I am currently developing. However, the topic may be of interest to any who love sound. The first item is a book edited by Galen Joseph-Hunter of free103point9. Here is a link to a PDF excerpt:  Transmission Art: Artists and Airwaves. The book "Features 150 artists notable for their sonic, visual, and live works, spanning early radio experiments of the 1880s up to the present." Those familiar with LoVid will be pleased to see some of there work being featured. A little article captures a bit of spirit of transmission art and its roots in pirate radio.
   
I think it is unlikely that I will be in Brighton, England any time soon, but a second point of interest (for research or otherwise) may be the Invisible Fields exhibition at the Lighthouse. Also, massive light installations are currently a point of interest for me as well. You will soon see.

I am not sure exactly how the last of the three fits in, but the House of Natural Fiber in Yogyakarta, Indonesia produced electronic music from recordings of the brewing of wine. A small article can be read in Artlog. HONF and The Waag Society of Amsterdam have established a FabLab next to casks. Wine and electronics? Historically, I don't think it has proved well, but maybe we are entering a new age.